Tuesday, August 17, 2010

London Greetings

Hello from London!

I arrived yesterday at Goldsmiths and received a warm welcome from the entire staff.  Of course I fumbled a bit on the Underground finding my way to the University but that is all part of the fun adventure.  I just wish we had this kind of transportation in Los Angeles!

I was able to sit and observe the conferences offices for a few hours on my first day and all day today and was amazed at the amount of similarities we share.  We both have ESL (English as a Second Language) programs and the students and guests profiles are nearly the same.   Vanessa has given me a desk to share in her office and it has been fascinating to listen and observe the daily workings of their department.  Students losing cards, guests requesting maintenance, a group cancelling their event, etc, etc. 

Today we took a wonderful tour of the campus.  I was amazed to find all the rooms on campus are single occupancy.  Can you imagine!  My room is in an adorable building called Loring Hall and has a single bed, built in desk, dresser and bathroom.  They still use hard keys for their rooms so I am very conscientious of keeping it safe.  I remember how difficult it use to be to change the locks once a key was lost.  Across the hall I share a kitchen with the other rooms in my hallway (only about 5-6 rooms).  The kitchen has a stove, a few fridges and small dining table.  It is quite comfortable.  The one thing I learned today about the U.K. is that it is not common for the campus to have or offer Wi-Fi .  Yikes.   

When I worked for Hilton Hotels it was required as a Sales Manager to stay at the hotel a few nights of the year in order to understand the guest experience.  I was thinking it was pretty funny that I had to fly all the way to England to gain this experience on campus.  Are any of you required to live in your campus accommodations to feel the guest perspective?  I think this is something I am going to incorporate for all of my staff (sorry guys!). 

A new media building has opened today at Goldsmiths and the meeting spaces and auditoriums in this building are simply amazing.  Wonderful colors, give or take 15 meeting spaces or so, a beautiful balcony overlooking London, a small cafe and so much more.  Such great potential!  They are also renovating a Victorian style building that is completely opposite in style and architecture from the new modern media building. 

Unfortunately I am having technical difficulties with my laptop so am unable to upload photos at this time.  I will get those up as soon as I get everything fixed.

OK, I am off for today!

3 comments:

  1. Trish, This is soooo exciting! Thanks for sharing your Xchange experience. And please extend our thanks to Vanessa and our UK partners for helping pilot this program. Keep us posted. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like challenges are familiar and clients are, too. Good to know we share a lot more. Is their organizational structure similar, as well? Do they report to business administration or student services?

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! I can't wait to read more. I had never considered the overnight piece. Interesting... I remember when I went on the Unique Venues tour with many of our colleagues from across the pond, they mentioned their turnover time from academic year to summer was only a day or two. Is that the case there?

    ReplyDelete