Monday, August 23, 2010

A fellow Jesuit experience!

Before I start I just want to mention that I am looking at the most beautiful full moon outside my room at Goldsmiths.  This is the first clear night sky since I arrived so I am quite grateful for the view!

I was thrilled to visit a fellow Jesuit University called Heythrop College today.  Heythrop is a small university located in a beautiful Kensington neighborhood.  When you walk into the square you find a lush park, historical homes and Heythrop! Such a stunning area.  Please see my photos below. 

My visit was with Judith Crimmins, Facilities and Services Manager.  Heythrop has only recently acquired accommodations from an order of sisters.  Their building can house approximately 97 guests/students if I remember correctly.  This past year was their first full year of operation for students as well as summer guests.  Unlike other universities in London Heythrop only allows for group bookings since they do not have a large operational staff.  The distinct difference in accommodations compared to other universities in London I have visited was that all rooms had shared bathrooms.  Each flat also had a shared kitchen which is currently being remodeled for the new school year.

Judith also showed me their conference space which is currently under renovation as well.    This definitely seems to be a recurring theme on my visit here.  I have found that most London universities are either undergoing major renovation of their current spaces or having new meeting spaces built .  To me this shows how much value the university is placing on meetings and events.   So refreshing.

When I was leaving,  Judith told me she was sorry I could not meet the Principle (President of Univ) as he was out of the office today.  She said I should stop back later in the week to meet him and say hello.   Really?  How fantastic!  I cannot believe how easy it would be to meet him but I guess that just goes to show you how small the school is.  Trust me...I will be going back for a meet and greet if I can :-).
http://www.heythrop.ac.uk/

Heythrop - located in the background.



Dining Hall with pre-set beverages and fruit on the table for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment